[Mristudio-users] Skull stripping

Susumu Mori smoriw at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:50:31 EDT 2014

Image registration quality is, in the end, judged by our eyeballs.
If there was a quantitative measure to judge if it's working or not
(regardless of head-to-head or brain-to-brain), we would have used such a
measure to achieve the better automated registration.

So, I would say, if the brains are well registered by the head-to-head,
there is nothing wrong.
Head-to-head does fail more than brain-to-brain. So, extra effort for
skull-stripping may worth, but as long as the results look decent,
head-to-head is fine. When you encounter failure, you could pre-register
them by manual landmarks or by skull-stripping. Either way, blind automated
processing is always risky.

It also depends on image. DTI data with long echo time tend to suppress
non-brain tissue. So the signal is dominated by the brain anyway. T1 has
much more intense signals from outside the brain. So, registration may fail
more with T1 for head-to-head.

In our atlas, we offer both non-skull-stripped and skull-stripped images.

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Shaimaa Abdelsattar <shaimaa96 at hotmail.com