[Mristudio-users] Skull Strip in ROIEditor

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Jun 8 08:56:06 EDT 2010

Hi Jeff,

There are two ways to do it. One is to use the ROI tools and the other is to
use the "skull-strip tool" (the right-most button in the "Tool" section).
The former is more manual and the latter is more automated.

When you use the automated skull-strip button, you have an access to the
overwhelming number of parameters. We haven't tested this function
thoroughly. This is a type of region growing tool with which you can control
the edge detection and smoothness of the boundary. This is written by Yue
Li.

Yue, I wonder if you could write a brief summary about which parameter does
what.

The manual way is the more old-fashioned ROI-based masking. Please do the
following to get some idea.

1) Load JHU-MNI-SS-FA from the "Sample atlas" section.
2) Also open b0 and DWI within the same window, so that you have FA/b0/DWI
all in one window. Don't open images with "ss", which are already skull
stripped.
3) If you look at b0 or DWI, you can find that skull has very low intensity.
So they are the best one to remove skull. Let's use b0 for this example.
4) Bring the b0 to the active image displayed.
5) Click "Seed Region Growing" in the "Tool" section
6) set the low threshold to 40, choose 3D, and click the center of the brain
7) you can see the brain is nicely defined by red color.
8) Click "Add" button in "Selection" section
9) The brain boundary is now registered as "object 1".
10) Go to "+.-,/,x" button and combine the FA and Object 1 by "masking".
Click OK.
11) You can get a new FA map masked by Object 1.
12) If you want manual touch up, you can modify the Object 1 using the "Pen"
tool in "Selection" followed by "Add" or "Remove" button

Hope this will help.

Susumu