[Mristudio-users] LDDMM for Hematoma

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Sep 8 21:33:44 EDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

Before you start LDDMM, you have to make sure the linear registration (AIR)
is very good. This is similar to non-liner fitting of a XY plot, which
always requires you to do linear fitting first to get a good initial
estimate of the non-linear fitting parameters.

There are cases when AIR fails often due to high intensity inside or outside
the brains of patients. In this case, changing the contrast, as you did
could be one solution. You can't change the contrast ad hoc for LDDMM but
for linear transformation, it is just an initialization. So, all you want to
do is to bring the two brains as close as possible. So, it's ok to use
different approach for different data. What we often do is, 1) try mutual
information,  2) use landmarks, or 3) do skull strip.

Most important things is, to make sure that the linear transformation is
good. Be careful about the angle of the brain and the brainstem. The
sagittal rotation is one of the most difficult parameters, while X, Y, Z
translation and coronal / axial rotation is usually easy to register. If the
sagittal angle is not satisfactory, you should try different approaches.

Also, we recently start to use 9-mode affine (no shearing) very often, which
is now available in the latest DiffeoMap.

Susumu