[Mristudio-users] GE 15 gradient table

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Oct 2 21:43:48 EDT 2009

Yes,

There are three cases when things can go wrong even if the colormaps look
fine.

1) Simple mistake in the gradient table (e.g. [1, -1, 0] instead of [1, 1,
0] in one of the tables).

Here I assume you made a mistake in one or several lines of the gradient
table by typos. This is the most difficult kind of problems to catch.

When you do tensor calculation, it asks "Automated Rejection?". This
function is not working well in the current implementation. We are about to
release a much better version soon, but there is one handy function, called
"Create images of the DWI-Fitting" and "Create images of the difference
between ....". Click these two check boxes. For outlier rejection threshold,
put a large number to effectively turn off this function. After calculation,
click "Original-Mean-ADC-STD" button. Here, you can find raw DWI,
theoretical DWI back-calculated from fitting results, and difference of the
two. Think these results in this way; suppose you have 4 points in a X-Y
plot and did a linear fitting. After fitting, you can measure error between
the fitting results and each measured point. The bottom row of the
inspection window shows the difference (error) maps. These error maps should
look random noise. If there is any mistake in the gradient table, you can
immediately tell because you can clearly see anatomical structures in this
error map. Also, these error maps are handy to visually see the amount of
eddy current and subject motion.

2) Oblique angle

When you are using oblique angle axial imaging AND
> you are using Philips scanner AND using the "gradient overplus" option.
> you are using Siemens scanner AND the operating system prior to VB15

Then you need to re-calculate your gradient table based on the oblique
angles. If you are a Philips scanner user, you can get a handy software from
mri.kennedykrieger.org that can do the calculation. If you are using DICOM,
you can simply click "rotate gradient if applicable" beneath the gradient
table input section. Then the software can read the oblique info from the
header and do the recalculation

3) +/- sign

If +/- sign is wrong for only one of the table lines, it is the case
described in #1. If +/- sign of, for example, all X components of all lines
are flipped, that's a totally different story. There is a detailed
description of this issue in the manual of DtiStudio. Basically, +/-
definition of any given gradient table is arbitrary, and dynamically changed
depending on imaging protocol. If +/- signs of one of the X, Y, Z components
are flipped, you won't notice by looking at eigenvalue-based maps such as MD
and FA. The color map also looks correct. You notice the problem only when
you start fiber tracking. Please refer to the manual for detail.

Susumu