[Mristudio-users] Eddy current correction on Siemens 3T console

Andrew Bender bender at wayne.edu
Tue Sep 29 13:01:09 EDT 2009

Hello all,

This is less of a DTIstudio question than a practical consideration
for DTI processing. Specifically, our institution has a newly
installed Siemens 3T Magnetom Verio scanner and the console has the
option of outputting computed DTI maps for FA, ADC, radial and axial
diffusivities, and eigenvalues.  However, nobody I've asked is clear
as to whether these have been corrected for eddy current distortion
when the console generates them. Does anybody know whether these
console-generated DTI maps have been corrected or otherwise AIR
registered?  I've read recently that some newer consoles incorporate
such correction algorithms, but our MR techs do not know and emails to
Siemens have not been returned.

Obviously, corrected DTI maps that don't require the same degree of
pre-processing are preferable for workflow considerations.  I'm
planning on doing some comparisons for purposes of further validation
using the AIRtool affine registration on the raw dicom images before
generating the DTI maps in DTIstudion and Analyze, and comparing ROIs
between those and the Siemens console generated maps to see if there
are differences in output quality.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Andrew

Andrew R. Bender, M.A.