[Mristudio-users] Extract values of the Fiber tract ROI

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Mar 17 11:37:26 EDT 2009

Dear Users,

Javier raised an important issue and I want to share his results with all of
you.

Here is what he did;

1) Did fiber tracking using DtiStudio, use the "statistics" button, and get
an FA value of the entire reconstructed fiber.
2) Save the fiber tracking results as 1/0 binary image, load the file to
RoiEditor, superimpose the binary masking on the FA map, and get an FA value
of the entire reconstructed fiber

The results were different as indicated in his email.

This is because the ways FA is measured for the reconstructed tracts are
fundamentally different between the two programs.

DtiStudio:

Suppose you have two fibers. One is 10-pixel long and the other is 5-pixel
long. Also suppose that the second 5-pixel fiber shares the same 5 pixels
within the first 10-pixel fiber. This means, the second fiber is completely
contained within the first fiber.

In DtiStudio, FA is measured along the first fiber. It also measures FA
along the second fiber. The end result is, for example;

First fiber [0.2, 0.25, 0.3, 0.35, 0.4, 0.45, 0.5, 0.55, 0.6, 0.65]
Second [0.2, 0.25, 0.3, 0.35, 0.4]

As you can see, the first 5 pixels are identical. Then DtiStudio calculates
the average of the 15 pixels. This means, the first 5 pixels are
"double-counted".

In this way, DtiStudio provides natural weighting for pixels that contain
more fibers. In reality, some pixels may contains 10s of fibers
(reconstructed streamlines) while some pixels may contain only one fiber.
The more fibers a pixel contains, more weighting it receives, because it
would be counted many more times.

RoiEditor:

Once you save the fiber tracking result into 1/0 binary information, all the
streamline information is lost, so as the number of fibers each pixel
contains. In RoiEditor, the binary image can be read and applied to an FA
map as a non-weighted binary masking.

I hope this explains the difference among the two methods. Because DtiStudio
counts the core white matter regions many more times than peripheral areas,
the average FA values tend to be higher.

There is nothing like one is better than the other. They are just two
different approaches. Maybe the natural weighting may sound more reasonable
but the non-weighting 1/0 masking should also be a valid approach. You just
need to apply the same method (or both methods) to all data.

Please let us know if you have any questions regarding this issue.

Thanks,