[Mristudio-users] How to do a Tailarach transformation?

Christian Bieck c.bieck at T-Online.de
Mon Mar 9 15:10:00 EDT 2009

Hello,

I'm still working on analyzing the optic radiation via DTI and would like to transform the subjects' data into Talairach space via Landmarker so as to then position the relevant ROIs in a more objective manner. I am still unsure about the whole process, though.
I watched all five videos of the DTIStudio tutorial which Landmarker was only a small part of and then tried to follow the Landmarker manual, but I still don't know how to proceed exactly. The best I could come up with is to use Landmarks on the AC, PC and most superior, inferior, anterior, posterior, left and right parts of the Talairach DWI template brain and the individual subject's DWI data, which resulted in a slightly rotated transformed brain, however, and didn't look quite right to me.
Now my main question is if I am somehow on the right path or if I forgot some vital steps in all of this. In the case of using a Landmark-based transformation, would it be a problem if, for example, the most anterior part of the template brain and hence the Landmark would be on the right hemisphere while the subject's most anterior part would be on the left hemisphere?
Should I include an AIR transformation before that?
As you can see, I'm somewhat lost in all of this and so would very much appreciate any input you could give me on how to do a proper Talairach transformation via Landmarker.
Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Sincerely,
Christian Bieck