[Mristudio-users] How to do a Tailarach transformation?

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Mar 13 21:23:27 EDT 2009

Hi Christian,

Sorry that the manuals for Landmarker and RoiEditor are still quite behind.
This year, we will most likely provide 2-day tutorial in Hawaii ISMRM (Sat
and Sun). Announcement will be sent next week. Join one of these tutorials
is the best way at this point. We are working on manuals and hopefully can
provide "Getting Started" soon.

As for your question, there are several points I want to make;
1) There are three ways to do normalization: manual landmark-based (rigid,
affine, and LDDMM), automated linear & low-order non-linear (AIR), and
automated high-order non-linear (LDDMM).
2) Usually, automated AIR (rigid or affine) + automated LDDMM is the easiest
way.
3) Talairach brain is VERY different from normal subjects. To accurately
transform your data to Talairach, AIR is not enough. You need extensive
landmarking or AIR+LDDMM.
4) Manual landmark-based normalization has a great flexibility but it's time
consuming and require some experience.

I recommend you to start with #2. If you don't come to ISMRM, please wait
for the Getting Started or you are welcome to visit my lab.