[Mristudio-users] Re-orienting DTI data

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:50:40 EST 2009

Hi Igor,

I think the easiest way is to use "rigid" transformation in Landmarker.
Whatever the method you choose, you have to do at least the rigid
transformation (just rotation and translation) of your data to realign your
data to AC-PC. Because your data is a tensor data, you have to be careful
and use a tool that can re-orient each tensor in each pixel. Of course, if
you first calculate FA map and then do AC-PC alignment, you don't have to
worry about it. Using Landmarker, there are two ways;

1) Use the rigid transformation option in AIR. By using this option, it will
re-sample your original data to the template of your choice. For example, if
you choose our ICBM-DTI-MNI, the output will be 181x217x181 with 1mm
resolution. The brain position and orientation should be aligned to those of
the ICBM-DTI-MNI image. As long as you are using rigid, it doesn't touch the
size of your data. If you don't want the resampling to the atlas dimensions,
you can use one of your good data, say, 256x256x50, as your template. Then
you can keep the original dimensions.

2) Use the landmarking functions. Again, you can choose one of our atlases
or one of your good data as a template. Pick AC and PC in the template data
and also in the data you want to re-align. Because your data could have an
olbique angle, you have to be precise and careful to define the AC and the
PC. Then use the landmark-driven rigid alignment, which are provided as one
of the buttons in the top menu bar.

Hope this will work.

Susumu

  _____