[Mristudio-users] Head Motion issue

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Mar 28 09:40:45 EDT 2017

The short answer is, unfortunately, "difficult" and "you need to rely on
your eyeballs", but there are some metrics you can use as a not perfect but
somewhat reliable tool. Here is why;

1: As simple as linear co-registration of 3D volumes by AIR or eddy current
corrections, in the end of the day, you use your eyeballs to see if it
works well or not. You may think, "but there must be a way to monitor the
goodness of registration or correction quantitatively." Yes, such metric
exists and all registration programs have their own functions to monitor
the goodness of registration. Registration algorithms try to maximize their
goodness functions while moving and deforming the target images. The
goodness function is as simple as subtraction of target and template images
and minimizes the subtraction errors. However, we all know that
registration algorithms are not perfect and in the end of the day, we use
our eyeballs to see if it is working. If we have a good metric that can
substitute this eye inspection, or as good as our eyes, we would have used
such a function in the registration algorithms to begin with.

2: Having said that, there are several objective metrics you can use to
infer the goodness of your data and registration results. First, you can
monitor how many voxels you needed to move 3D images to register them.
Second, you can monitor the results of the goodness functions. Third, if
your software has automated pixel rejection, you can monitor how many
pixels were rejected.

These metrics are not perfect. For example, there are papers describing how
many voxels AIR needed to move images for registration and use the metrics
(such as translational and rotational motions) to report the patient
motions. This is a good attempt but not perfect because it assumes that AIR
(or any registration software) works perfectly, extracting accurate
information about the motion. However, in reality, if the subject moved too
much, AIR may not work and sometimes it gives up, reporting 0 motion. If
the 3D images are corrupted, there is no point of doing cross-3D
registration to begin with. If you know these limitations of such metrics,
they should give you a good guidance about the quality of the data.

In DtiStudio and MRICloud, there is a very comprehensive reports about the
metrics mentioned above. As a matter of fact, it may be too comprehensive
with a flood of numbers. We tried to create a wrapper software that
summarize and visualize the reports, but haven't completed the work.

If anybody is interested in pursuing this topic based on the quantitative
reporting of DtiStudio/MRICloud, please contact Yue and ask for the wrapper
software.

I assume that other well-regarded software such as RESTORE also has similar
reporting, but I'm not sure.