[Mristudio-users] effect of TE on FA

Susumu Mori smoriw at gmail.com
Fri May 16 07:20:48 EDT 2014

Hi Mark,

For simulation study, Daniel Alexander has a paper describing the impact of
TE and various image parameters.

Practically, only the measurements can give us the best information but it
is possible the results are compounded by physiological noise unless the
impact of the TE is large.

Theoretically, the largest influence could be the SNR decrease. As Dorian
mentioned, there are papers describing the effect of SNR, including ours.
As TE gets longer, the SNR goes down and FA goes up. If you have a high SNR
(e.g. long scan time, lower resolution), a certain amount of the SNR
decrease doesn't cause FA increase, but if the SNR is low to begin with,
you would see more impact of SNR change.

I think the reason you don't fine many papers about the TE impact is;
> The results are predictable; longer TE, lower SNR, higher FA
> The results depends on the exact image parameters (magnetic field
strength, scanning time, TE, b-value, etc) and thus the results do not have
general importance.

Susumu