[Mristudio-users] Why deleting b0 from one of the runs increases FA a lot.

Dorian P. alb.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 14:56:16 EDT 2013

Hi Dr. Mori

That was my strategy. I  combined the two runs, b0+32DWI+32DWI. This was
done of course after registration, so that I could use the new gradient
table. Images were saved in raw format, and loaded back with the new
gradient table.

I tried both using all images with gradient 100, 100, 100 for the bad b0 or
completely deleting the bad b0 (and the corresponding gradient line).
Either way FA goes up a lot for the same measured tract.

Here are some more tests on left arcuate from a good subject with 2 DTI
runs. Values are FA:
2 DTI runs (normal) = 0.489
2 DTI runs (exclude 1 b0) = 0.55
1 DTI run (normal) = 0.499

It seems that excluding one b0 is much worse than excluding the whole DTI
run. In other words, adding DWI images from a sequence that doesn't have
its own b0 may invalidate the findings. If seems that a set of DWI images
without a b0 acquired during the same sequence is not useful to to include
in DTI calculation.

Does this make sense?

Dorian