[Mristudio-users] Regarding gradient table

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 12 20:11:20 EDT 2013

The generic table is only a generic table.
In old days when the gradient information is not stored in DICOM files, the
generic tables are the only information we had.
Usually, the generic table is what the pulse programs for DTI were using
inside the scanner. The pulse programs have only one internal generic
table. Then you specify patient position (head first / foot first), patient
orientation (face up / face down), image orientation (cor/sag/ax), oblique
information, etc. Based on these study-specific parameters, the pulse
program dynamically generate RF and gradient waveforms. During this dynamic
generation of waveforms, the generic table is translated into actual time
sequences of the physical X, Y, Z gradients. If you record what actual X,
Y, Z gradient do and compared to x, y, z components in the generic gradient
table, you may find X, Y, Z and x, y, z are not the same; they could be
permutated,  the +/- sign of X and x may be flipped, or X, Y, Z is rotated
with respect to x, y, z.

Therefore, in old days, we have to figure out the "correct" table from the
generic table. For example, x, y, z of a old generic gradient table was Y,
X, -Z in Philips. In DICOM files, you can find gradient information after a
study-specific gradient table is generated. Therefore, X, Y, Z permutation
and +/- sign are supposed to be correct.

As I mentioned in a previous email, the oblique information is still tricky
because you may still have to rotate the gradient table in the DICOM based
on the oblique angle.