[Mristudio-users] difference between ADC and MD

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Feb 14 17:08:30 EST 2013

Let me add little more history.

Suppose you do diffusion constant measurement using X, Y, and Z gradient
individually. You get three results, diffusion along X (Dx), Y (Dy), and Z
(Dz).

When you image an anisotropic sample like brain, Dx, Dy, Dz are not equal.
Each of these is called "Apparent diffusion constant". They are "apparent"
because depending on the gradient axis you use or the orientation of the
sample, they vary.

Then people found that Dx+Dy+Dz is invariant, meaning it stays the same
regardless of the sample orientation.
Dx is rotation-variant because if you use X-gradient and measure the same
sample (e.g. a chunk of meat) three times with different orientations, you
get different Dx values.

So, Dx+Dy+Dz is a convenient value because you don't have to worry about
consistency of sample orientations.
Dx+Dy+Dz is called "Trace". In DtiStudio, we use this "Trace".

(Dx+Dy+Dz)/3 is called "Mean diffusivity"

Confusion arises when we start to use "Averaged diffusion constant", which
also is (Dx+Dy+Dz)/3 and the same as "Mean diffusivity".

When we use the abbreviation, "ADC", it is not clear if it means "apparent
diffusion constant" or "averaged diffusion constant".

So, you have to read the context carefully. MD is, in this sense, a better
term.