[Mristudio-users] Question about fiber coordinate

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Apr 24 18:59:59 EDT 2012

Hi Weina,

There are two types of data formats for fiber tracking. The "raw" format of
the fiber tracking is streamline information. For example, if you get 10
lines, you have 10 streamline information. Each streamline contains
information of sequential coordinates. These coordinates use floating point
coordinates as you saw. This is why streamline looks much more high
resolution than raw images. We artificially increase the resolution to draw
the streamlines. FAQ#1 describes how the streamline information is stored.
If you store your results as this streamline information, you can later
edit the results like removing some lines by the "NOT" operation.

The second format is the "image" format. In this format, the streamline
information is converted to a binary (1/0) masking image. If your image is
256x256x50, then this binary image also has 256x256x50. In this image,
pixels that contain the streamlines get "1" and others get "0". Once the
streamlines are converted to this binary image format, you can't edit
anymore.

I think Hangyi will explain what exactly is 'xyzPtROI'.

Susumu