[Mristudio-users] FA stats question

Matthew Gnirke gnirkem at upstate.edu
Wed Aug 24 10:33:37 EDT 2011

Thank you for your response and suggestions Dr Mori! I have a couple of more
specific questions if that's alright...

I have tryed the cut tool and it is not exactly what I am looking for, I
think the Or--And---Or set of ROIs better suits our needs. I am trying to
calculate the average FA in between the two extreme Or ROIs. When I go to
the stat profile window, what I am currently doing is exporting the values
from the slices between my two OR ROIs into excell and calculating the mean
FA. My question centers around what, precisely, the values are. The table
has the following columns:

Slice
#_Of_Fibers
Max_Val
Min_Val
Mean_Val
Std_Dev

Pixel#--
Max#--
Min#--
Mean#--
Std_Dev-- (Fiber/Pixel)

Inorder to calculate a mean FA for a selected number of slices, would the
following be correct?: (ie for slice 1, 2, 3...)

((Pixel#)(Mean_val))1+((Pixel#)(Mean_val))2+((Pixel#)(Mean_val))3.......  /
total # of pixels

Or....

((#_Of_Fibers)(Mean_val))1+((#_Of_Fibers)(Mean_val))2+((#_Of_Fibers)(Mean_val))3.......
 / total #_Of_Fibers

Also, could you possibly explain what the rest of the values are?
(especially beyond pixel #)

Thank you again, I really appreciate the help
Matt Gnirke