[Mristudio-users] ADC-Map Calculation in DTIStudio

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Aug 15 18:49:50 EDT 2011

Hi Rachael,

Sorry for the confusion, but the "mean" in DtiStudio is NOT the "mean
diffusivity (MD)" widely used in the field. Hangyi, we should change the
name.

The "mean" in DtiStudio is the mean of individual ADC maps. For example, if
we use a 12-orientation method, it is possible to calculate ADC of the first
gradient orientation. Likewise, ADC of the second, third, and up to the 12th
gradient orientations can be calculated. Then, you can get 12 ADCs. The
"mean" in this case is the average of the 12 ADCs.

The "mean diffusivity" is calculated from the average of the three
eigenvalues. Therefore, we can get only after the tensor calculation.

I hope this clarify your question.

Susumu