[Mristudio-users] DiffeoMap Interpolation Accuracy

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sat Mar 26 08:39:00 EDT 2011

Hi Jeff,

First of all, if the structure of your interest (in this case SN) is
not well defined (too small or no contrast) in your original image,
computer algorithm cannot define it reliably. Also, the small size
(with respect to pixel size) of the structure would lead to partial
volume effect in raw data (thus poor reproducibility) and, again,
computer algorithm cannot get the reliable information even after
upsampling or normalization. So, everything is in your raw image. I
guess we all agree on it.

To answer your question, maybe a good approach is to use Hmap and warp
the WMPM to your raw image without interpolation. In this way, you may
get better idea about what the automated method is doing more
intuitively. Suppose a ROI is only 10 pixel large in the 1mm WMPM
which is warp to a raw image with 10 times lower resolution. Then, you
will find a ROI with only 1 pixel. This should give you some idea to
judge if the operation is reliable or not. The best way is to scan the
same person multiple times and measure the SN to find the reliability
range.