[Mristudio-users] 3D ROI

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sun Feb 27 06:31:08 EST 2011

2011/2/27 bin wang <binwang87828 at gmail.com>

> Dr Mori:
> I have two questions:
> (1). If I want to create a 3D ROI, Must I draw the ROI in every slice in
> ROIEditor manually?

If the structure of interest has clear contrast, you can use a region
growing tool. For example the caudate in T1 has a good contrast. You can use
3D or slice-by-slice region growing tool to define it much easier than
manual. When you are using DTI colormap, there is a color region growing
tool to specify a region with the same color.

If does not have clear contrast, you can first use the global threshold or
region growing to define a tissue of interest. For example, if you are
interested in a white matter structure, you can use FA>0.25. If you are
interested in the cortex, you can use a threshold tool with T1. Please note
that white matter structures and the cortex do not have clear contrast
boundary from adjacent structures. Therefore the region growing or
thresholding almost always leak to adjacent structures. After you do the
global tissue segmentation, you can visit each slice and use manual ROI +
AND operation to define the structure.

If you get tired of defining a lot of ROIs without clear boundaries, please
try our automated full-brain segmentation tools. You need to learn how to
use DiffeoMap and RoiEditor. You can find manuals and videos in
www.mristudio.org.

> (2). I have a binary mask image(img/hdr), it is the calcarine regions of
> the brain, I want to make a ROI of the region to track the fiber in this
> region, and how can I do in ROIEditor or DTIstudio.

You can load it to RoiEditor as an ROI file and save as "Binary Map". Please
refer to FAQ16 about Binary Map format.