[Mristudio-users] update of gradient table in DtiStudio

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Dec 27 18:08:28 EST 2010

Hi Luca,

There are several issues you raised;

1) Our MI algorithm: I forward this question to Kegang Hua who implemented
an algorithm written by Jinsuh Kim in Iowa U.
2) How the gradient table updated: There is an option to re-calculate
b-matrix if there is any rotation involved in the post-processing
registration (a check box with "adjust gradient table ...."), although my
lab is not using this function. It is my personal opinion that if a subject
rotates his/her head to a degree that this option makes a difference, there
should be so many other quality issues that can't be solved by
post-processing reorientation of b-matrix such as signal drop,
mis-registration of odd and even number slices within one 3D data,
through-slice rotation within one 3D data, etc. Also consider following
things;
> In regular data, the amount of rotations is usually less than 1 degree
within 5-10 min scan time
> With 5-10 min scanning, SNR is such that test-retest reproducibility of
fiber orientation calculation is about 3-5 degree
> I'm not sure if post-processing realignment algorithm has a precision of 1
degree for rotation detection, which is difficult to differentiate from
sheering.
> Eddy current sheering should not require b-matrix rotation
> If there are 3-5 degree rotation during scan, that data is very outlier
and I'm not sure if you want to salvage it by applying b-matrix
reorientation.
3) What does it happen with resampling: Any post-processing alignment leads
to pixel-interpolation and resultant blurring. This is a separate issue from
any resampling to enhance the resolution. The post-processing realignment
can be done without changing image resolution.

Susumu