[Mristudio-users] Adjusting Gradients for Oblique Angles

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Dec 14 17:01:20 EST 2010

Thanks Jeff,

Your observation about VB17 (and other versions) agree with mine. There are
mixed information about the gradient rotation out there; some say it's
rotated and some say not. What is more confusing is that there are two level
of "rotation" questions;

1) Is it rotated at the point of imaging?
2) Is it rotated in the DICOM file?

I have heard mixed information from multiple sources, but so far my
experience says the gradient tables are not rotated at any levels, as you
confirmed. This is interesting.

The small difference you found between the two files (e.g. 0.863, -0.364,
0.352 vs 0.861, -0.366, 0.354) for with and without oblique is NOT caused by
the oblique rotation (the effect of 45 degree rotation can't be this small)
but caused by the different interaction with the small imaging gradients, I
assume.