[Mristudio-users] Adjusting Gradients for Oblique Angles

Jeff Sadino jsadino.queens at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:00:25 EST 2010

Hi Susumu,

When I was doing my testing during the last couple weeks, I was using the
VB17 software.  I tried large rotations (30-45 degrees) on the sagittal
orientation, and my gradient, as extracted using DTIStudio 3.0.2, was not
rotated:

Using no oblique angles:
 0: 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
 1: 0.863, -0.364, 0.352
 2: 0.863, 0.364, 0.352
 3: 0.863, 0.364, -0.352
 4: 0.863, -0.364, -0.352
 5: 0.357, -0.364, -0.860
 6: 0.357, -0.866, -0.350
 7: 0.357, -0.866, 0.350
 8: 0.357, -0.364, 0.860
 9: 0.357, 0.364, 0.860
 10: 0.357, 0.866, 0.350
 11: 0.357, 0.866, -0.3509
 12: 0.357, 0.364, -0.860
ImageOrientationPatient: [ 1     0     0     0     1     0 ]

Using an oblique angle:
 0: 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
 1: 0.861, -0.366, 0.354
 2: 0.864, 0.361, 0.350
 3: 0.861, 0.366, -0.354
 4: 0.864, -0.361, -0.350
 5: 0.358, -0.352, -0.865
 6: 0.357, -0.866, -0.350
 7: 0.355, -0.861, 0.365
 8: 0.357, -0.365, 0.860
 9: 0.358, 0.352, 0.865
 10: 0.357, 0.866, 0.350
 11: 0.356, 0.861, -0.364
 12: 0.357, 0.365, -0.860
ImageOrientationPatient: [ 1.0000         0         0         0    0.8846
-0.4664 ]

However, when I tick on the "rotate gradients if applicable" button, then
the oblique angle is properly taken into account.  The case was the same
when I used oblique angles on the axial orientation.

Although I can not do these same tests for our older software (VB13 and
VA25A), just by looking at the extracted gradients, I can tell that they are
not automatically rotated.

I hope that helps and thank you for all of your support!
Jeff