[Mristudio-users] quantifying motion and batch job

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Aug 19 13:04:43 EDT 2010

Hi Weihong,

1. After registering the DWIs to b0, is there anyway to get some
> quantification about the motion?It would be great if we can get the frame by
> frame motion "magnitude" (rotation, translation, skew) data in the form of a
> text file. Is there a existing function available in DTIStudio that can
> allow me to do that?

Please see https://www.mristudio.org/wiki/changelog/dtistudio-3.0.2. There
you can find a *.doc file explaining how you can check the motion correction
results. In reality, the cross-contrast registration like b0-DWI is
difficult and it is difficult to expect perfect registration. However, as
the file explains, mutual information, although it takes longer, tends to
perform better. AIR also has a strong dependence on threshold value.

We are working on quantitative reporting of the registration results.
Currently there is an option to save the transformation matrix in the text
format.  When you start AIR, at the bottom of the AIR window, there is "Save
transformation matrix" in the "Other" section.

> 2. Is there a beta version of the software that can do some batch work? I
> understand the quality checking for bad frame/slice/pixel always needs human
> decision, as you have mentioned before. What about batch job for motion/eddy
> current correction, or other procedure that may not need as much human
> expertise?

Hangyi has a command-line version of the software. It may not support all
the functions, but please contact him.