[Mristudio-users] Kimap, eigenvalues, and longitudinal analysis

Andreia Vaconcellos Faria fariaav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 11:46:03 EDT 2010

Hi, Jeff,

Q1: Kimap, such as any other matrix or deformation field, will work for any
image that is co registered with those you used for the transformation.
Since all the DTI (eigenvalues, B0, FA, and also tensors) come from the same
file, they are of course coregistered and therefore your Kimap is “valid”
for all of them. The practical advantage of applying Kimap (or any
transformation) to the tensors is that, using just this one-step
transformation, you can calculate various scalar images (eigenvalues, FA…)
from the same “normalized” tensor file. Also, the tensors are "re-oriented"
and there is no lost of the directional information.

Q2: The contrasts that drive LDDMM serve as topological information. The
most common approach is to use one image with large contrast between brain
and “no-brain” (csf and background), such as B0, adc, trace…; and another
channel to provide information about the “internal” structure, such as FA
(that provides contrast within the white matter). The normalization is
improved when you use images that provide different kind of information and,
theoretically, there is no gain on imputing channels that provide the same
kind of information (for example, B0 *AND* trace).
The linear transformation and the LDDMM are independent; you can use B0 in
both steps if you want.

Q3:The idea that drives the imaging process is exactly the same. Of course,
you can choose different contrasts (channels), templates and pipelines
according the design of your study.

I hope it helps.
Best,

Andreia.