[Mristudio-users] theory - registration

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sat Jun 19 13:45:10 EDT 2010

Hi Julie,

Those are all good questions. Our TheoryAIR routine is now being updated to
provide more controls over which transformation you want to use (currently
Rigid only) and how to combine with outlier rejection (slice rejection or
pixel rejection?). Also, currently you can't save TheoryAIRed data. I hope
that we can release the revised version in this front in July.

As for the iteration, we are still accumulating experiences and want to
welcome any information from users. At this point, I would say 5 usually
works. DtiStudio provides visual interface to judge the improvement in
registration. This is an effective method especially when you have repeated
measurements (so that you can see the subtraction of the two to check the
registration/correction quality). At this point, you should rely on your
visual judgment.

As a matter of fact, almost always, difficulty of automated image quality
check is how to quantify the improvement by registration/correction schemes.
If you can quantify the improvement, we would use such a measure to minimize
during the registration and correction process. In the end, our eyeballs are
the best method for judgment which we can hardly beat.

Susumu