[Mristudio-users] DTI method: VBA, MRIstudio vs. TBSS

lion gao gaolion at gmail.com
Sat May 15 12:46:54 EDT 2010

Dear Susumu Mori,

Sorry that I misunderstood some of your previous ellaboration. Now I get
closer to your points, as well as the helpful arguements :) I  guess I may
add some points to my defense for VBA.
Thanks again very much for your further explanation!

Best wishes,
Gao

On 15 May 2010 06:24, susumu mori <susumu at mri.jhu.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> TBSS for defence use :P, so I find some limitation from the original paper.
>> BTW, I am NOT familiar with TBSS.
>> http://sirl.stanford.edu/~bob/pdf/DTI/Methods/Smith_TBSS_NeuroImage06.pdf
>>
>> Finally, I arranged some defences based on your comments below. Have a
>> look if interested , or simply skip it :)
>>
>> Thanks again & Best Wishes,
>> Gao
>>

>> It has been quite a time since VBA was popularly used in DTI data, while
>> track-based spatial statistical gains popularity rapid in recent years. To
>> compare the two methods, there two points of views need to the clarified:
>>
>> 1.       Granularity. It represents the extent to which a system is
>> divided into smaller parts. In VBA, the brain is broken into nearly one
>> million of voxels, then it is normalized before comparing with one another.
>> In MRIstudio, it can superimpose the parcellation map and divided the brain
>> into 150 areas, thus it has less granularity than VBA (1 million vs. 150).
>> Whereas TBSS re-registers nearby voxels to the skeleton of white matter,
>> reduces the granularity and increases the accuracy of registration.
>>
>> 2.       Anatomy. In VBA analysis, computer algorithm registers the
>> voxels automatically, without considering any anatomical information.
>> Another new method of Tissue-specific, smoothing-compensated (T-SPOON) can
>> improve the tissue specificity in VBA method and compensation for images
>> smoothing. TBSS can also apply some anatomical information, i.e., the
>> skeleton of white matter, thus the registration would be better than totally
>> automatic VBA method.
>>

>> TBSS definitely has its advantages in DTI analysis, nonetheless, it is not
>> without flaw or limitation: 1.Partial volume effect still exists in TBSS
>> method, and the problem may be greatly exacerbated in spatial smoothing; 2.
>> Increased head motion can increase image blurring and bias FA value; 3. In
>> regions of crossing tracts or junctions, TBSS may misinterpret the change of
>> tracks in junction as apparently reduced FA; 4. Finally, in patients with
>> apparent pathological changes, TBSS may exclude the areas from analysis.
>>

>> There are always advantages and disadvantages of each method in DTI
>> studies. TBSS as new method, may be generally more accurate than VBA method,
>> although it needs more sophisticated data projection approach in the future.
>> We also need to keep in mind that DTI is based on information of water
>> diffusion, it may help to screen and generate hypothesis rather than to draw
>> a final conclusion.

>> On 13 May 2010 23:44, susumu mori <susumu at mri.jhu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Good question Gao.
>>>
>>> Here is my thought (my personal opinion, of course);
>>>
>>> 1) you are comparing VBA and TBSS. These are methods to "define
>>> corresponding pixels (or areas) across subjects", so that you can compare
>>> pixel numbers such as FA and MD among different brains. This is called
>>> 2) These methods can be classified from different point of views;