[Mristudio-users] FA values and define ROI

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Mar 1 08:59:36 EST 2010

Hi Bing,

1) Manual ROI approach
Many papers use manual ROI approach and it's still one of the best ways. The
downside is, you have to be an expert neuroanatomist and even so, the ROI
placement reproducibility is often a concern.

For the manual ROI approach, you can use the DtiStudio "ROI" tab, but I
recommend you to use RoiEditor, which has a much stronger interface.

Using DtiStudio, you need to load an FA map to get FA values. You can
directly draw ROIs on an FA map in the "ROI" tab and determine the average
FA within the ROI. You can also load both color and FA map, draw ROIs on the
color map, and measure FA. In this case, first choose the color map as an
active image in the display in the "Image" tab, go to the "ROI" tab, draw an
ROI, go back to the "Image" tab, choose the FA map as an active image, and

Using RoiEditor, you need to grasp the concept of "Object", which allows
drawing of multiple 3D ROIs. Our manual is still weak, but you can find some
in www.mristudio.org. There is also a video of our tutorial.

2) Automated ROI
You can use our atlas with more than 170 pre-defined ROIs, warped to your
data. For this approach, you need to get DiffeoMap and RoiEditor from
www.mristudio.org. Also, please read our recent papers by Mori et al, and
Oishi et al, all in NeuroImage. Again, there is online manual in
www.mristudio.org.

3) fiber tracking
Once you successfully segment your brain, you can use the segmented regions
as ROIs for fiber tracking.

#2 and #3 are a bit advanced usage of our tools. #2 could be figured out
through our website, I believe. We are planning to have a tutorial in ISMRM
this year. Hope you can join.

Susumu