[Mristudio-users] NifTi and DTI Studio

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Aug 31 12:20:29 EDT 2009

Hi venkateswaran

1) It seems the DtiStudio version currently posted in
www.mristudio.orgalready has the function to read/write Nifty. Please
check and send me
feedbacks if you encounter and problems.
2) As for the "distortion correction", do you mean Eddy current distortion
correction or B0 susceptibility correction? If the former is the case, you
can use the Affine tool in DtiStudio.
3) As for the b-matrix rotation, do you mean the rotation for oblique-angle
imaging that affect older Siemens system? If that is the case, it would be a
complicated issue. The easiest way is, to read the Dicom/Mosaic directly to
DtiStudio, which can automatically recalculate the b-table based on the
oblique information in the header. Once you go through FLS and data is
converted to Nifty/Analyze/Raw, the oblique information is lost. You can
still trick DtiStudio in the following way, but it is a bit cumbersome.

> Read Mosaic/Dicom directly to DtiStudio, provide the Siemens-provide
original b-table, click the "rotation if applicable", and load the data.
> Close the window and re-open the data input window. There you can find
that b-table of the previous session still remembered by DtiStudio. This
table is already rotated (not the original b-table anymore). You can use
this table for the Raw data.

4) The b-table rotation option for oblique imaging doesn't work for
Raw/Analyze/Nifty in DtiStudio. Do Analyze and Nifty have a field for
oblique angles? If so, maybe Hangyi wants to see if we can make the option
available for Analyze and Nifty.