[Mristudio-users] question on getting to byte data format for LDDMM

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Jul 31 17:15:28 EDT 2008

1: For LDDMM, definitely the single-subject. LDDMM aggressively identifies
and matches structures. The population-averaged maps have very blur
structural definitions, which confuses LDDMM. For linear and low-order
non-linear, the population averaged is better because it maximizes the
matching between the normalized subject and atlas after such low-level
transformations.

2: Yes, all images have to be converted to byte. This can be easily done by
the "BWF" button in the top section. Please note that once the images such
as FA is converted to byte, it is usable to drive LDDMM, but not usable for
the subsequent quantification (who wants FA values 0 - 255?). So, you have
to apply the resultant transformation matrix to FA later.

Related to this issue, we are testing ADC (trace) not b0 image to drive
LDDMM (I mean FA + ADC dual channel). The reason is, FA and ADC maps are
quantitative maps and do not require histogram (intensity) matching. When
you convert FA&ADC to byte, you can specify the absolute range for the
conversion (for example, byte 0 = FA 0 or ADC 0 / byte 255 = FA 1 or ADC 3.5
(trace 10)). The latest version can specify the absolute range conversion.
This makes our life easier. Because LDDMM operates on intensity, intensity
matching is important. Our single subject atlas is from Philips which has a
certain degree of intensity distribution, which is different from Siemens.
Without intensity matching, LDDMM won't work.