[Mristudio-users] left-right flipping

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Jun 24 02:20:37 EDT 2008

Hi Linda,

Please note that DtiStudio follows the Radiological convention like all the
scanners do; the right side of the image in axial and coronal slices are the
patient's left. So far we haven't noticed any situations in which right-left
is flipped in DtiStudio. If you want to confirm, you can put a syringe or a
water bottle to one side of the brain during a scan.

You need to be careful if your data went through other software programs.
Many Neurology-oriented programs follow the Neurology convention. Default
Analyze format also is Neurology convention. If the brain orientation is
flipped, usually you can tell it immediately because the axial slice becomes
inverted.

As for the right-left, we are also one of them who published the right-left
asymmetry based on tractography. However, we have to be careful. We know
that the total white matter volume is almost the same between the right and
the left hemisphere. Most white matter tracts should have the same sizes.
The reason why tractography gives us the asymmetry results could be
complicated;

1) There are regions with lower FA in one of the hemisphere.
2) The tract shape and size is more convoluted in one of the hemisphere (the
size of the tractography is heavily influenced by the narrowest section of
the entire path).
3) The SNR (or signal intensity) is inhomogeneous due to the nature of the
RF coil.

Please note that I've never seen that anybody (including myself) tested by
scanning the same person twice; once with face up and once with face down,
to reject the #3.

Hope this helps.

Susumu