[Mristudio-users] Analyze ROIs

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sat Apr 19 15:10:52 EDT 2008

Hi Graeme,

I want to follow up Xin's comments. First, please don't be confused by "binary" and "binary map" formats. The "binary" format simply saves the ROI as 0/1 maps (default extension is *.dat). The "binary map" format saves not only the binary ROI files (*.dat files) but also an additional text file, (*.map file)  which you can open and see. To load all files saved as the "binary map" format to DtiStudio, you have to load it as, of course, "binary map" format in DtiStudio. Then DtiStudio looks for the ".map" text file, not the actual 1/0 binary ROI files (*.dat files).

There is one catch, though. When you saved the ROI files by RoiEditor, you can't specify which ROI is for "AND" and which ROI is for "OR". There are "AND", "OR", "NOT", and "CUT" operations you can choose to combine multiple ROIs. Without this information in the *.map text file, DtiStudio doesn't know what to do.

The best way to learn the syntax of the "*.map" file is to create this file using DtiStudio and study the inside. You can do usual fiber tracking by DtiStudio manually. Please make sure that you draw more than 1 ROI and combine them "AND" or "NOT", as you want. Then try "save"->"Binary Map" in the ROI operation section. Once you saved your ROIs using DtiStudio, look for the saved ROI files. You should be able to find a "*.map" file you just saved. Open the "*.map" file by a texteditor. The file contains not only information about your ROI data, but also some explanation about the syntax at the bottom.

Please let me know, if you have any more questions.

Susumu