[Mristudio-users] ADC values decrease with increasing b-values

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 4 12:45:36 EDT 2008

Hi Gustav,

Your observation is correct. When we determine ADC, we perform
mono-exponential fitting, but the signal decay is hardly mono-exponential.
When the intensity as a function of b-value is plotted in a log scale, it
should be a straight line if it is mono-exponential, but reality is, it
curves. That means, if we do 2-point measurements like 0 and 500, 0 and
1000, or 0 and 1,500, the determined slope gets less and less steep. I
attached our internal data acquired by Ming-Chung Chou. You can see very
strong dependency of ADC on b. This could be due to hitting a noise floor
but even with high SNR, the non mon-exponential behavior can be observed. As
a matter of fact, if we do simulation with different SNR, ADC values are
more stable than FA.

This is somewhat the opposite of FA (second slide). Again this is
Ming-Chung's data. As you can see from the graph, FA is rather stable in
750-1500 range, but as we know, FA values is sensitive to SNR when SNR is
low.

Hope this will help.