[MRIStudio-users] [Mristudio-users] MRI - Head Motion issue

Barbara Kreilkamp bakk.hbg at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 27 10:13:43 EDT 2017

Dear Dr Mohammad,

This paper you are referring to (Yendiki et al. 2013 neuroimage) reports
on the methods used to correct for motion and the spurious group
differences present even when accounting for motion with special
correction tools.

If there are differences in motion between groups that you are
comparing, then yes, motion can be have confounding effects on your
results even if they have been 'corrected'. This is because motion
always also means loss of information (e.g. slice dropout etc.) which
cannot be easily mitigated.

FSL and Freesurfer (Tracula) offer tools to extract motion parameters
for individual subjects so you can compare gross motion across groups
and account for it in your analysis. It's always a great idea to
visually check your unprocessed DTI data as well for any signal loss etc.

Best wishes,

Barbara