[Mristudio-users] 2d rois

Susumu Mori smoriw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 20:15:22 EST 2014

For quantitative anatomical analysis, the manual delineation is treated as
the gold standard, against which the accuracy of automated methods are
measured. Therefore, there is no way to measure the accuracy of manual
delineation.

For manual delineation, we usually do not ask accuracy (validity), but ask
precision (reproducibility). Very often, reviewers ask data for test-retest
or inter-rater precision data. Therefore, manual delineation protocols are
important; you want to define anatomical areas where your structures of
interest can be defined easily with clear boundaries.

In this respect, I think that the pre-processing of images with the affine
transformation increases the precision. This is the "hybrid" approach
described in Fig. 1A of the attached paper. This approach, at least,
reduces the inter-rater variability to identify a slice level of interest
because the delineation protocol can explicitly say, "choose Axial slice
#90", for example.

Susumu