[Mristudio-users] Why deleting b0 from one of the runs increases FA a lot.

Susumu Mori smoriw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 20:06:17 EDT 2013

each scan does gain calibration independently.
Remember, the intensity scale is an arbitrary unit.

For example, 16-bit digitizer has 2^16 scales to record the signal
intensity. That is +/- 32K. The scanner record a signal as tiny as 1 and as
large as 32,000. This is called dynamic range.

Throughout the scan, you have to make sure that the most intense signal has
to be smaller than 32,000 while you want to use the dynamic range as wide
as possible. So, during the pre-scan, the scanner estimate the largest
signal and attenuate the gain (signal amplifier) so that the entire signal
fits within 32,000. Of course, the scanner makes very conservative
estimation because the worst thing happens is the signal clips the 32,000
scale range (like the signal is 40,000, which can't be recorded).

Even if the scanner is perfectly reproducible, generating the same amount
of signal, the final recorded signals in the digitizer depends on the gain
and this gain setting is influenced by the short prescan, which is affected
by noise.

So, long story short, the absolute intensity scale between two separate
scans can hardly an indicator of scanner performance unless you turn off
this auto-gain calibration.