[Mristudio-users] Relationship between acquisition and reconstructed voxel size.

Dorian P. alb.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 23:54:33 EDT 2013

Dr. Mori, thank you for the exhaustive explanation.

I have two follow-up questions.

First, you wrote:
"Because field-of-view, which is determined by the brain size, is about 200
- 250 mm, DTI spatial resolution is limited to 2-2.5mm."
It appears that the number of acquired points depends on the FOV. Does this
mean that a smaller FOV have more SNR than a bigger FOV for the same voxel
resolution?

Second, I usually acquire with FOV=230mm. If smaller FOV gets more SNR
(depending on answer of 1st question), I can reduce FOV to match the
patients brain. Question is, will variable FOV be problematic in a
scientific publication?
I think that a fixed FOV keeps SNR standard between subjects, but brain
size affects DTI anyway. For example, within the same 2mm voxel size
chances are that a small brain will have more heterogenous fibers for each
voxel than a bigger brain. Therefore having more SNR for a smaller brain
may (kind of) balance the disadvantage. My plain thoughts anyway.

Thank you for your comments.

Dorian
TJU