[Mristudio-users] Gradient tables and SPM coregistration

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sun Dec 30 10:16:03 EST 2012

Hi Dorian,

We don't have experience in mixing SPM transformation and MriStudio
pipeline. In general, you have to be very careful to mix pipelines from
different sources;

1) coordinate systems could be different; right-hand or left-hand
coordinates / neurology or radiology orientation. You have to be careful so
that the images and transformation matrices are in correct orders.
2) gradient vector re-orientation: If you touch raw diffusion-weighted
images, you have to transform the gradient vectors too. This is not
difficult when you use linear transformation, but if you are using
non-linear transformation, each voxel has to have its own gradient table.
The procedure becomes simpler if you transform images after tensor
calculation, but if you transform a tensor field, you need to make sure to
re-orient the tensor in each voxel.

In general, each software (FSL, SPM, MriStudio) should be already tested
for the consistency for these issues in a transparent manner, but once you
mix the pipeline, such a consistency may be lost.

Susumu