[Mristudio-users] ROI maps for DTIstudio

Dorian P. alb.net at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 11:48:00 EST 2012

Hi everybody and thank you for providing the MRIstudio course this week.

I have a problem with ROIs. My target is to create two ROIs with an "AND"
operation in fiber tracking (need to see fibers that pas from both). The
two ROIs will be taken from SPM.

What I did is create the first ROI and reslice it in SPM to the dimensions
of the colormap image. I imported the map in ROIeditor and it displays
correctly (byte image). Then I created a ROI based on thresholding values.
Saved the ROI as binary mask and expected to get the ".dat" and ".map"
files.

1. The binary maps produced by ROIeditor do not have a ".map" file. I find
only two ".dat" files. One of them is the map file and I can edit it in
Wordpad. I renamed this file to ".map" to open it in DTIstudio.

2. DTIstudio does not open the ".map" file anyway, it shows nothing on the
screen. However, when I open the raw ".dat" file the fibers are finally
shown. Still, this doesn't resolve my problem as I need two rois with an
AND operation.

3. I tried saving binary maps both from ROIeditor and DTIstudio but
DTIstudio can't open any of them. Beside, DTIstudio doesn't produce the
same files as ROIeditor. The extensions are different and rois from
DTIstudio have lines for the operation while rois from ROIeditor don't. I
tried adding those lines to the ".map" file of ROIeditor, without success.

Can you give me some hint how to perform my task.

Software versions:
Roieditor v1.5 - 64bit
DTIstudio v3.03 Sep 2010 - 64bit

Thank you.