[Mristudio-users] Is there an exact correlation between FA value and total tract fibers ?

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue May 15 09:59:36 EDT 2012

It can happen when white matter becomes smaller while FA doesn't
change a lot. This would be the most natural interpretation.
Also, tractography could be relatively insensitive to decreased FA
because tractography tends to extract only the core of the tract with
high FA.

Also, if there is one area along the tract where a portion of the
tract has lower FA, tractography stops when it hits the low FA area
due to the FA threshold. This also would lead to smaller tractography
with unchanged FA.

So, there are several possibilities.