[Mristudio-users] Too few slices being read- Philips

Powers, Katherine L. (Portland) Katherine.Powers at va.gov
Fri Mar 30 14:25:59 EDT 2012

Hello DTI Studio users,

I was wondering if anyone else has had difficulties getting all slices
read into the DTI mapping. I'm attempting to analyze a Philips 32dir
overplus-Yes series with 64 slices from dicom files. I get a warning
pop-up that says:

 #_of_Images !=(#_of_gradients)x(#_of_repetitions)
 #_of_Images=204
 #_of_gradients=34
 #_of_repetitions=1

Then the series appears oriented correctly with only 0-9 sag slices
rather than the full 0-63 slice sag acquisition. If I generate an FA
color map from these slices, it visually matches slices from the color
map generated on the Philips console so the following gradient table
appears to be working alright:

0: 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
 1: -0.465, 0.503, 0.728
 2: -0.527, 0.503, -0.685
 3: 0.711, 0.702, -0.031
 4: -0.620, 0.275, 0.735
 5: -0.173, 0.677, 0.715
 6: 0.055, 0.707, 0.705
 7: 0.455, 0.565, 0.688
 8: 0.721, 0.150, 0.677
 9: -0.620, 0.275, 0.734
 10: -0.260, 0.709, 0.655
 11: 0.327, 0.704, 0.630
 12: 0.548, 0.482, 0.683
 13: 0.736, 0.288, 0.612
 14: -0.680, 0.477, 0.556
 15: -0.444, 0.710, 0.546
 16: 0.582, 0.640, 0.501
 17: 0.732, 0.468, 0.495
 18: -0.702, 0.712, 0.031
 19: -0.726, 0.477, -0.495
 20: 0.687, 0.468, -0.556
 21: 0.454, 0.704, -0.546
 22: -0.702, 0.712, 0.023
 23: -0.661, 0.430, -0.616
 24: -0.703, 0.711, -0.024
 25: -0.316, 0.709, -0.631
 26: 0.270, 0.705, -0.656
 27: 0.711, 0.702, -0.039
 28: 0.681, 0.288, -0.674
 29: -0.703, 0.711, -0.019
 30: 0.009, 0.706, -0.708
 31: 0.711, 0.702, -0.042
 32: 0.676, -0.005, -0.737
 33: 100.000, 100.000, 100.000

Could it be that the calculated Philips volume is not being canceled
appropriately by the 33: 100,100,100 line? Are there set locations for
the dicom files for the calculated volume so I can simply excise them
manually if all else fails?

As an aside -the dicom file input also results in reduced # of slices
when using MRIview3D, but when I convert the dicom series into analyze
format I'm able to get volumes 0-33 with all slices showing. Since
Analyze format doesn't work with the DTImapping functionality, this is
informative but still a dead end for my tensor calculations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance
-Katherine