[Mristudio-users] AIR/MI/theory AIR, which is the best?

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sun Dec 11 11:00:59 EST 2011

Hi Lisa,

There are multiple terminologies in white matter anatomy and within each
terminology, the consensus is not always consistent.

In general, there are two different ways to define the white matter
anatomy. One is based on the location. For example, "The anterior limb of
internal capsule (ALIC)" is a white matter location between the caudate and
the putamen.

The second way to define the white matter is based on the pathway. In the
ALIC, there are corticothalamo and thalamocortical pathways. There are
also descending pathways such as cortiopontine, cortiobulbar, and
corticospinal tracts.

If I pick up, for example, the coritopontine fiber, it starts the motor
cortex and go through the peripheral white matter beneath the motor cortex,
the corona radiata, the internal capsule, the cerebral peduncle, and the
pons. This exemplifies how the same white matter area can be called in
different ways.

To me, the SLF I, II, and III are more based on pathway definition,
connecting different cortical areas.

The white matter parcellation maps (PM) we provide are purely based on
location information. Therefore, it is quite possible that the
pathway-defined structure, such as SLF I not only occupies a portion of the
our PM-based SLF and also a portion of SFG-WM.

I have to check Xin and Yajing, but the current RoiEditor also contains
probabilistic coordinates based on the pathway-based white matter
definition. I believe that contains SLF I, II, and III. If your RoiEditor
doesn't have these (should be RoiEditor/Images/Tracts), you can find them
in our website (lbam.med.jhmi.edu).

For the definition of these probabilistic coordinates, please refer to;

Zhang YJ, Zhang JY, Oishi K, Faria AV, Jiang HY, Li X, Akhter K, Rosa-Neto
P, Pike GB, Evans A, Toga AW, Woods R, Mazziotta JC, Miller MI, van Zijl
PCM, Mori S. Atlas-guided tract reconstruction for automated and
comprehensive examination of the white matter anatomy. NeuroImage
2010;52(4):1289-1301

Xin and Yajing, please let us know where exactly they are.

Susumu