[Mristudio-users] Q about Kimap

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Oct 11 18:39:18 EDT 2011

> Kimap, Kimap001, Kimap002 and Kimap003?

If you use a 3-step cascading alpha method, you get the above 4 Kimaps.
Kimap001 is the result with the most linear-like (less elastic)
transformation. Kimap001+002 gives next step more elastic transformation.
Kimap001+002+003 (=Kimap) provides the most elastic transformation. You can
see how gradually transformation gets more and more elastic. When you apply
Kimap001 + Kimap002, you can transform the original image twice, first by
Kimap001 and then Kimap002; Kimap002(Kimap001(Image)). Or, you can combine
Kimap001 and Kimap002 to create one transformation matrix (say
"Kimap001+002") and then do transformation once; Kimap001+002 (Image). The
latter prevents too many interpolation steps.

> And How to choice
> the α/γ ratio value in paper "Multi-contrast large deformation
> diffeomorphic metric mapping for diffusion tensor imaging"?

If your data is mostly young adults without much atrophy, one-shot LDDMM
with alpha = 0.005 should give you a good result. If your subjects have a
large amount of anatomical changes (e.g. severe atrophy like AD patients),
then I would recommend 3-step cascading alpha with 0.01, 0.005, and 0.002,
although, in many cases, the final step (Kimap003) usually doesn't deform
the image much because most transformation is done by alpha=0.005
(Kimap001+002).