[Mristudio-users] AIR/MI/theory AIR, which is the best?

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Aug 11 19:46:15 EDT 2011

If the scans are not co-registered (the subject went out and came back to
the scanner), I suggest you to calculate the tensor first and register the
tensor using DiffeoMap and linear registration (AIR or MI).

If you register the raw DWI data, you may get a bit better SNR (this is my
guess), but you have to make sure to use the b-table re-orientation scheme
in the AIR. I would recommend to use AIR or MI (MI may take a lot of time),
although I don't have much experience in the cross-scan registration.

I think the first method (calculate tensor and then register) is the
easiest.