[Mristudio-users] Co-registeration of DTI data with T1 or T2 data

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Wed Jun 1 16:26:19 EDT 2011

You can do that using DiffeoMap.

If you assume that the subject didn't move, you can use a tool to
change the location, rotation, FOV, and matrix size to theoretically
align the images. Otherwise, you can use a rigid transformation using
AIR or MI in DiffeoMap. You can submit two images with different
FOV/matrix and the resultant image will have exactly the same
dimensions as the template image. If the initial location of the brain
within the FOVs are too different, you may need some pre-adjustment to
bring the brain positions to a similar location within the FOVs.

I recommend you to do the registration of DTI data after tensor
calculation. If you move raw DWIs, you need to reorient the gradient
table too. Once you calculate scalar maps like FA, MD, EVs, then you
can register them to T1/T2 just like a regular image. If you want to
register a tensor map, you have to load it through the "Open *.d"
button so that DiffeoMap knows that it has to do tensor reorientation
procedure.

Because b0 and T2 have very similar contrast, you can do registration
between T2 and b0, save the transformation matrix and later you can
apply the matrix to any DTI-derived maps like FA, MD, EV, tensor, etc.
Avoid transforming vector maps. Instead, transform the tensor and then
calculate vector maps.

You can also do non-linear warping using LDDMM between b0 and T2 to
minimize B0-susceptibility distortion.