[Mristudio-users] Fa values

Jacquie Hodge Jacquie.Hodge at albertahealthservices.ca
Fri Apr 8 12:56:55 EDT 2011

Good morning everyone,

I am using DTI studio for my project where I am interested in comparing the left and right CST's in children who have suffereed injury in that area and after reading many studies on DTI decided to compare average FA values of the tracts as one of my variables. However, I have come across this questino from one of my supervisors and cannot really answer it and am hoping for your help/expertise.
Here is goes:
Is the FA value still a viable measure to look at and use to make a correlation if you are using FA values to pull the white matter tract? It seems like if the tract is made from FA values then you should not be able to use the FA as an outcome variable. This question has come up as I presented my research idea and I'm not sure how to answer it. Most studies that use DTI use FA thresholds to pull the tracts and then also the FA values (eg. mean FA) to make comparisons between the tracts.

I really hope that my question makes sense as I have found it very hard to word properly.

Thank you very much,
Jacquie

Jacquie Hodge MSc candidate in Neuroscience, BSc
Neuroscience, University of Calgary
Research Assistant, Calgary Pediatric Stroke Program
Alberta Children's Hospital
2888 Shaganappi Trail NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T3B 6A8
Phone: 403-955-7733 Fax: 403-955-2922
jacquie.hodge at albertahealthservices.ca
Program website: http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/programs/stroke/pediatric.htm

This message and any attached documents are only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential and may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, retransmission, or other disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and then delete the original message. Thank you.