[Mristudio-users] Fwd: Does the inferior fronto-occipital fasciculus exists?

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Wed Feb 23 14:30:11 EST 2011

"Atlantis" is a good one.

Just want to add a couple of things.

First of all, pixel-by-pixel evaluation of DTI, like define ROIs on FA maps
or inspect color maps, and tractography results are very different things.

As for the pixel-by-pixel evaluation, there are a cluster of pixels
currently named as IFO in our atlas. So, it is a real entity (not Atlantis).
Then the issue here is whether it is appropriate to call this location IFO.
This is an issue of nomenclature as well as interpretation.

As for the tractography, the reconstructed trajectory convincingly shows
that so-called "IFO" travels between the frontal and occipital lobes, just
like past histology sections have shown. However, it is a very valid
argument that there is actually not axons that travel the entire length of
the "IFO". In this case, the connection called IFO is "Atlantis". It seems
there, reported numerous times, but actually doesn't exist.