[Mristudio-users] Producing a nhdr format tensor file

Thomas Ballinger thomasballinger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:16:07 EST 2011

I was given the following (MRI-Studio created) files by a collaborator:

U016_color_map_0.dat
U016_eigen_vector_0.dat
U016_FA.dat
U016_tensor.dat

Preprocessing:
ImgQltFlag.bin
U016_DTI1.PAR
U016_DTI1.REC
U016_DTI2.PAR
U016_DTI2.REC
U016_DTI3.PAR
U016_DTI3.REC
U016_DTI4.PAR
U016_DTI4.REC
U016_ImgQuality.flg
U016_LoadData.dpf.txt
U016_LoadData_MI.dpf.tx
U016_MI000.raw
U016_MI001.raw
U016_MI002.raw
U016_MI003.raw
U016_MI_Matrix.txt
U016_MI.nhdr

I'd like to get a tensor file in nhdr format for use with Slicer.  I can use
the .nhdr DWI file, but it includes some bad slices that are apparently
excluded in the DTI-Studio processing, which I'd also like to exclude.
Therefore I have three questions, only one of which needs to be answered for
me to obtain my desired nhdr format tensor file.

1) How do I load the tensor.dat file to be saved as a nhdr (if this is
possible) in DTI-Studio, or how do I use other data I have here with
DTI-Studio to create a nhdr tensor file that excludes the slices which were
found to be bad?

2) How do I read the tensor.dat file?  If I understand the data format I can
convert it to nrrd tensor file format

3) Where is this data quality flag information stored, and how do I read
it?  I could use the nhdr I have already and remove the offending bad
slices, then estimate tensors without these slices, producing a nrrd format
tensor file.

Thanks very much,

Thomas Ballinger
Research Assistant