[Mristudio-users] mristudio-users Digest, Vol 54, Issue 2

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Dec 30 17:52:48 EST 2010

Thanks Darren for detailed report.

> --- In the unrotated case the gradient directions reported by
> DTIstudio were flipped in y and z vs. the default Siemens gradients.
> Once the gradients reported by DTIstudio were multiplied by [1 -1 -1]
> they were within 0.53 degrees of the default Siemens gradients.
>
> Q1. > Is this flipping to be expected?

Yes. First of all, by saying "default Siemens gradient", I assume that you
mean the generic gradient table provided by Siemens. When we do head-first,
face-up, axial scan with AP phase-encode, we usually need to flip the sign
of X components, which is the same as [1, -1, -1] (=[-1, 1, 1]).

> Q2. > If it is expected, isn't this a problem, because had I entered
> my default Siemens gradient directions instead of extracting from
> Dicom then the y and z directions would have been incorrect?

Yes, it is a problem. Philips users usually have to flip Z components. We
all have to figure it out and know it. It won't affect FA/ADC, but it
affects fiber tracking. Also, it has to be corrected before any
normalization process. We have to use a corrected table. Or,
DtiStudio/MriStudio offers "flip x/y/z" functions right before fiber
tracking or image transformation as the final line of defense.

> --- Since no angulation was applied to the gradients the results from
> DTIstudio did not change whether or not I clicked "Rotate gradients if
> applicable". This is as expected.
>
> --- In the rotated case the gradients are again flipped in the y and z
> directions. However, the results are not the same as multiplying the
> gradient values by the rotation matrix (It appears this process is
> more complex than I expected, but after working through it in nibabel:
> see- http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/nipy-devel/2010-September/004768.html
> ,
> I agree that DTIstudio is probably rotating the gradients correctly.
> The last thing I noticed, however, is that the results are again the
> same whether or not I click rotate gradients if applicable.
>
> I have several questions;
> Did you check the table after rotation by closing the window and restart
the initial data input window? If you did oblique imaging and check "rotate
if applicable", you should find the rotated table there.
> If you feed the generic Siemens table (which has wrong signs for the X
components), the rotated table remains incorrect in terms of the X component
signs. Is this what you mean?
> If you extract the gradient table from DICOM headers, then the initial
table fed to DtiStudio should have correct signs for all X/Y/Z components.
After rotation, it should remain correct. Did you try this?
> Now, I'm very interested in how the DICOM-extracted table looks like with
the oblique protocol. Is it similar to the generic table (except for the
sign difference) or similar to the one after the rotation? My past
experience says it is similar to the pre-rotation table and thus it still
has to be rotated ("rotate if applicable" needs to be clicked). Do you
agree?

> Q3. > It appears that for Siemens data (VB17) the gradient rotation is
> applied whether or not one clicks rotate gradients if applicable. Is
> this correct?

I have to confirm with Hangyi, but I believe that gradient rotation is not
activated unless you click the check box.
Hangyi, is this correct?