[Mristudio-users] Gradient Table for Philips

Dresner, Alex alex.dresner at philips.com
Thu Dec 2 12:54:01 EST 2010

Dear Andrew,
Dr. Mori's message was more complete than mine was, so I've copied his response below.  In your .par file, you are correct that those three columns are your diffusion directions.  And though it says there are 33 directions, the last direction is 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 for the calculated DWI which should be replaced with 100, 100, 100 in your table for DTI Studio.  And the direction before that (next-to-last in the .par file) is the b0 image, because it is labeled with direction 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 and b-value = 1 (the column to the left of the gradient number, so those lines read ... 1 33 0 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 ...).

As far as checking the results to see if you have entered the correct gradient table, there's no specific method.  The easiest thing to do is to compare the FA color map to that of the sample dataset and check obvious structures like the corpus callosum (should be red) and the optical fibers (should be green).  Again I will quote Professor Mori: (DTI Studio mailing list, 6/10/10)
There are several ways to notice wrong gradient tables;

1) Totally wrong table: If the table is totally wrong, the color map doesn't make sense. So check color map first.
2) X/Y/Z permutation: If X/Y/Z is miss signed, the color of the color maps doesn't look right. For example, the corpus callosum should look red, not green
3) +/- sign error: Perform tractography. If sign is wrong, it doesn't make any sense.
4) More subtle errors: Look at fitting residual (error) map. There is a file called "DtiStudioUpdate.doc" at https://www.mristudio.org/wiki/changelog/dtistudio-3.0.2. This explains how to get the fitting error maps.
5) Oblique angle: The attached file explains in detail. To make sure everything is right, you can scan a person twice. One in a regular position and one in severe oblique. If everything is working, you should get anatomically comparable tractography results.

Regards,
Alex

Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

 The attached is my .par file. Do you mean that  the "#  diffusion (ap, fh, rl)     (3*float)" , for example  -0.001   -0.076   -0.997, is a diffusion direction? Since there are 33 directions in my .PAR file and are labeled from 1 to 33, should I change their label to 0,1,..32?  In addition , should I add a extra line (33) with 100, 100, 100 in the end of the gradient table?

By the way, is there any way based on the result I can check whether I use the right gradient table?

Again, thank you for your time and help!

Chunxiao(Andrew)