[Mristudio-users] DTI Data question

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Oct 29 06:43:47 EDT 2010

There are three repeated scans. By using all three, you can improve
the SNR. You can consider it as regular scan average (NEX).

If you use 3 scan average, you get one complete DTI set. If the
subject moved during the scan, you get scans before motion and after
motion averaged by the scanner. If you submit 3 scans independently
and saved independently, you can co-register them to reduce the effect
of motion. That is why we usually submit 3 independent scans rather
than using 3 signal averaging.

If you are using Siemens with a new operating system, you can use 3
signal averaging instead of submitting 3 repeated scans because
Siemens scanners do not average the scans and save them separately in
Mosaic files.